Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Years of listening too load has destroyed my hearing.

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was listining to my system this morning at a very low level and my ears have been ringing every since. I think it is called tentenitise or something close. Even watching TV will bring it on. I talked to a doctor friend and he said that once you have it, it will not go away. I cringe at the thought of all the time effort and money I have in my sytem and now I can not listen to it. Even low level listening at my computer will trigger it. At first it was annoying but now it hurts. I hate getting old. If your hearing is still good, count your blessings and turn down the volume. Thanks for listening (no pun intended)

  2. #2
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm sorry to hear that Igor, that totally ***** !
    I have a fellow guitar player freind that suffers from that as well & it's no picnic at all, I am very thankful that after all the concerts & my own playing that I don't have any problems like that, knock on wood!

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    I've had tinnitus since I was three thanks to a careless doctor, though like all the other folks I know with it mine rings continuously. It can get so loud, almost a roar in the wee hours, it has made me a ~life-long insomniac. During these periods my ability to understand speech is severely impaired, so if watching TV, etc., during this time I have to really 'crank' it to drown it out, though during the day I don't listen any louder than most folks and when I listen at ~live levels I don't do it for long periods. I still enjoy a movie at DD reference level though, which is almost as loud as a small live jazz venue.

    Anyway, it hasn't affected me or any of my old racing buddies that have it the ability to enjoy high SPLs, but there's another age related problem that occurs whether you have it or not (can't remember what the cause is at the moment) and it does make high SPLs painful. Mine hasn't started kicking in yet, but I'm told it begins around age 60 in men, so I'm real close.

    BTW, any stimulant, especially caffiene, really aggravates tinnitus so maybe a lifestyle change is in order.

    GM

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I have tinnitus as well. It's not real bad. I notice it at night when I go to bed.
    Do some research on it. There are things that help as GM said.
    It doesn't seem to affect my ability to enjoy my system.
    BTW.....I'm also a drag racer.....and I seldom wore earplugs. I do now.
    Ron

  5. #5
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    loud cars, loud stereo, 4 yrs in the USN, and 20+ years in manufacturing, many B4 the 90DBA restrictions. also I think leaving furnace blowers on all the time exacerbates the problem [no rest for the weary ears.]

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was looking through some old picturs and found a bunch of pics of me when I was a timber cutter in the Mt. Hood national forest. I have an Stihl 075 chain saw in my hand and no hearing protection. No wonder my hearing is problematic. I have not listened to my system for four days and have not had a problem. I have a doctors appointment later this week with the ENT and hopefully it is a transiant problem. Cheers.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Igor I sure hope it's something that can be worked around. It must be really frustrating to get things setup just the way you like and not be able to listen to it. Not much logging going on up in that forest now. What they're cutting for timber now would have been reject not too long ago. I live about 15 minutes from the forest on the eastern edge of it near Dufur.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've read a couple studies on hearing loss and living in a Industralized country. People who don't live in a Industralized country (like in the jungles of Africa or South America have no hearing loss even when they live into their 80's (which is very rare for those areas).

    The more your ears are exposed to noise the more hearing loss you'll have when you grow up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.